Friday, December 12, 2014

Dec 12 - Website Evaluation

Today, we evaluated everyone's websites and projects that each person has done. Victor, Qasim and I were in a group. We evaluated each other's websites.

For my website, the people in my group gave me feedback on how I could improve the website. They said that they thought the website was too plain, and looked very 'generic'. They understood that I was trying to create a minimalist website, but they suggested to use a contrast of black and white to create diversity and avoid giving it a boring look, while keeping the minimalist feel. They also suggested me to reference other minimalist sites, and see how they keep the visual appeal of the site while making it minimalist. A website they suggested me to look at was http://www.lp-architects.com/. This website used a mixture of black and white to show minimalism while making the website look good.

An example from this website that shows good use of color, is the homepage.

The website uses a blend of grey, white and black to create a variation of colors. The logo is also quite big in the website, allowing the user to easily see which website this belongs to.






I also did further research to look at common characteristics of different interior design companies that are similar to my client's company. Another company website that I found was http://www.fancydesign.com.hk/.
This website also shows the use of black and white contrast, as seen by the monochromatic theme in the website. The website logo text is again placed at the top and is of a large size, allowing the viewer and user of the website to easily know which company is using the website. Everything is spaced out neatly and uses up as much space as possible. This is a common characteristic of the websites and I see that often the pictures are the main part of the webpage, showing off the different designs of the company, Fancy Design.

Another webpage I also looked at was http://www.jasdesign.hk/. What I found very interesting was the differences in the website appeal compared to me and my clients website, yet this website uses a similar structure to my site in terms of homepage.

This website again highlights the pictures, and has a bigger picture size compared to my website. The background is white, with grey used for other colors in the background. I found this was interesting because this website uses a similar website structure to me and  my clients website, yet it looks alot more visually appealing. The use of the blend of colors give the website its appealing look.





Using all the information I accumulated from these websites, I see that most of them provide an emphasis on the logo more than I did, use better color schemes, and have larger size pictures on webpages.




I will be contacting my client afterwards, to ask how I could change the color scheme of our website and other point I mentioned in this post in order to increase the visual appeal of our website, using my research.

No comments:

Post a Comment